A day out in Northbridge
But with an exciting mix of cafes and cosy coffee spots, boutique shopping, restaurants and entertainment venues, this inner-city precinct is the perfect place to spend a whole day exploring.
We’ll take you from morning to evening, through some of the must-see stores, eateries and other hidden gems that Northbridge has to offer.
1. But first…coffee!Can the day really start before you’ve had your morning cuppa? Before embarking on your day out in Northbridge, be sure to get a caffeine fix at one of the suburb’s atmospheric cafés. Tuck Shop Café, on Newcastle Street, serves up delicious coffee from Toby’s Estate alongside a menu of house-made brunch options. With a selection of famous pies on offer too, it’s the perfect spot to watch the world go by or grab a freshly made snack to go.
Also check out: Flora and Fauna, Little Bird, Little Willys, Opal Café, Sayers Sister, Superstar Waffles, Tarts Café and many more!
2. Enjoy a strollNow you’ve got your coffee or other treat in hand, there’s no better way to spend a summer’s morning than a stroll around the neighbourhood’s leafy green streets. If you’ve got the kids or your pooch in tow, why not take a walk down to Russell Square? This beautiful green space in the centre of Northbridge has lots to look at including 30 sculptures to discover and Moreton Bay figs to admire.
3. Explore the storesHaving explored the neighbourhood’s green spaces and charming streets, it’s time to peek inside some of the unique stores and boutiques that Northbridge has to offer. Along William Street you’ll find a mix of eclectic stores, vintage fashion, art and other wares. Spend the morning browsing sustainable health and beauty products at Generics Urban Apothecary and local and international clothing labels at Periscope. If you’re looking for something unique, Ruck Rover stocks playful pieces that will ensure you stand out. If vintage is more your vibe Fi & Co has an amazing collection, as does Retro Vinnies.
4. Tickle your tastebudsAfter browsing for bargains, you must be famished. Lucky for you, there’s no shortage of places to eat in Northbridge – in fact, you can pretty much get any cuisine you want, making this neighbourhood a perfect haven for those with adventurous tastebuds or a hankering for authentic cultural dishes. If you’re craving Mediterranean, you can’t go past the Greek food at Yefsi at Attika on Newcastle Street. Or if you’re dreaming of flavours from further East, Viet Hoa serves delicious house-made noodles and roasted duck. Of course, China Town offers a wide selection of restaurants too, or for something a little different, Chimek offers funky modern creations like Korean burgers and cheesy cayenne beer battered chips…yum!
5. Soak up some cultureAside from fashion, there’s plenty more stores and spaces to discover on an afternoon in this cultural precinct. Creatives will find amazing prints at Temple of the Muse Gallery and street art supplies and apparel from The Butcher Shop. If you’re musically inclined, why not dig for some hidden gems at Noise Pollution Records or indulge your inner wordsmith with the latest page-turner from Planet Books?
6. Bars, bevies and a bite to eatSee Northbridge come to life at night with bustling bars, multicultural restaurants and live entertainment venues where you can dance the night away. Shadow Wine Bar and No Mafia offer a cosy night of fine wine and European food, whereas the mysterious Lucky Chan’s will satiate your appetite for dumplings like no other. If you’re in the mood for drinks with friends, check out Henry Summer’s jungle vibe, rock out to live music at The Bird or boogie down at The Court. Plus, check out Yagan Square and Perth Cultural Centre for vibrant pop-up events and Northbridge Piazza for free outdoor movies.
7. Sweet dreamsWhat better way to end the day than with a spot of something sweet? Chi Cho Gelato offers a scrumptious palette of fresh gelato and sorbet with up to 20 flavours churned daily. Or, if you’re a hardcore sweet tooth, you’re sure to find a caramel creation or sugary sensation at Whisk Creamery, famous for its croinut sandwiches and specialty cones.
- 03 Dec '19